Networking effectively is critical if you are in the job search process. Despite the growth of online job facilities like LinkedIn and job notice boards, networking remains the single most effective way to create new job opportunities. It can be as simple as hearing a rumour about a new position being created from a friend right through to being recommended for a specific role by a peer or mentor. If you are looking for a new job, you need to be networking as effectively as possible because:
- People want to work with people they know and more importantly people they like
- You are competing with hundreds of others when you apply for any role, networking contacts can give you the edge
- Lots of jobs are never advertised, people fill them via people they know and trust
Networking is not one basic skill that you need to develop, it’s a mindset change that you need to apply to all the things you do. Networking is about creating and maintaining relationships with relevant people and helping them achieve their goals. They in turn, will do the same for you. When you think about developing your networking skills, think about it in terms of:
- Building your network of contacts
- Mastering networking events
- Maintaining your network of contacts from role to role
We have pulled together a list of key posts that step you through every aspect of the networking process and help you develop those critical networking skills you need to create new job offers.
Networking Skills – Preparation
- 8 Surefire Networking Strategies for Job Seekers – We cover 8 key networking strategies you can use to let people know you are looking for a new role. This includes optimizing your LinkedIn profile and creating a digital brand for yourself.
- Networking the Easy Way: Ask Your Friends – For networking beginners, we look at how you can reach out to friends and contacts and get your networking skills up and running. You will be surprised how many people your friends know who can help you.
Networking Skills – Event Strategy
- 5 Things You Must Do To Prepare For A Networking Event – Networking events are much less awkward if you are prepared with the right props and key phrases to start and end conversations. Make sure you run through our preparation checklist.
- 7 Tips for Killing Any Networking Event – This networking post is full of practical tip and tricks to ensure you do not spend the whole event hiding in the corner.
Networking Skills – Long Term
- How To Quit Your Job Gracefully And Keep Your Network – Never, ever burn your bridges with your contacts. We show you the key networking skills you need to be able to leave your current role with dignity and keep all your network contacts in place.
Networking effectively will dramatically increase the number of new job opportunities that come your way. Yes it’s awkward at first, and for some people it never really gets easier but that doesn’t mean you can’t develop some basic networking skills that you can use to your advantage. Read the posts listed above, take from them the bits and pieces you are comfortable to star with and work your way up from there.