If you are looking for a role in accounting, there are a number of skills and qualifications you need to have. These include having the relevant degree, experience with accounting software and great attention to detail.
You also need to insert important accounting job skills into your resume. By including the most sought after hard and soft accounting skills in your resume, you ensure that:
- Your resume has a much better chance of being selected by the resume screening software
- You are more likely to get the recruiters attention
- Emotional Intelligence – The Most Important Leadership Skill
- Top 5 Soft Skills All Managers Must Have
- Top 7 Soft Skills You Need to Get Hired
- The Top 5 Leadership Skills You Need to Have
So, which hard and soft skills are employers looking in their accountants?
Accounting Job Skills – Hard Skills
Hard skills are the basic educational qualifications and experiences you need to have to be considered for any role as an accountant. The most important hard skills that employers look for when employing an accountant include:
- University or College Degree
- Numerical knowledge and data analysis
- Experience with Accounting Software such as SAP, ERP and more general software such as excel and word
- Certified Public Accountant Certificate or equivalent
- Knowledge of & experience with accounting principles & practices
- Knowledge of accounting laws & regulations
Accounting Job Skills – Soft Skills
Employers tell us that soft skills are considered just as important as hard skills for accountants. The most important soft skills that accountants must posses include:
- Attention to detail
- Analytical skills
- Organization & Time Management
- Honesty & Integrity
- Written & Verbal Communication Skills
Accounting Job Skills – Resume Keywords
The main responsibilities of an accountant include the preparation and analysis of financial statements and reports, managing the balance sheet and asset management systems and over-seeing accounts payable.
In addition, they also perform data analysis, financial research and provide accounting recommendations and advice to management.
Therefore, the following keywords must be included in your resume and cover letter. They are also useful terms to use in your interview answers throughout your first and second job interviews.
- Analyzing Financial Statements
- Report Automation
- Budgeting Procedure
- Forecast Planning
- Capital Acquisition
- Cash Flow Analysis
- Cash Flow Statement
- Cash Management System
- Asset Management
- Cost Accounting
- Waste Reduction & Elimination
- Risk Management
- Financial Modelling
- Financial Projections
- Financial Audit
- Management Accounting
- Return on Investment (ROI)
- End of Year Reporting
Make sure you include these important accounting job skills and keywords in your resume and cover letter to give yourself the best chance of being asked in for a first job interview.