The best way to succeed at any job interview is to prepare. Accounting job interviews are no different. You will receive a series of questions, and you will need to answer these questions to the best of your ability. These questions are likely to fit into one of these three categories:
- Boring knowledge questions.
- Probably boring questions about intangibles.
- Likely equally boring questions about problem solving.
That is in addition to the boring standard interview questions you are also likely to face. Still, to be fair, all interviews are boring. It’s just not as fun to make fun of them as it is with accounting interviews. On to the examples!
Sample Accounting Interview Questions
- Why did you choose to pursue a career in accounting?
- Have you ever had to manage an invoice dispute?
- What is the effect of Net Cash Accrual on working capital?
- What strategies do you implement to prepare accounts receivable?
- Describe a time you made an error on an invoice.
- How do you deal with mistakes?
- How well do you handle the pressure of an upcoming deadline?
- What accounting programs are you familiar with?
- What was your role in X Corporation?
- What cost company measures have you personally implemented?
- How familiar are you with current accounting laws and regulations?
- How do you prepare a cash flow statement?
- Would you be willing to compromise your integrity if requested by the company?
- How many discrepancies did you find while you completed your last quarterly filings?
- How much did these discrepancies save or cost the company?
Not a Comprehensive List
There is no limit to the number of technical questions you may face at your accounting interview. You may also be asked about your role in previous companies. Also, expect several questions about intangibles, such as “How would you describe your leadership skills?” and “Do you prefer to work independently or as part of a team?” Good accountants must also be able to maintain relationships with people, not just balance sheets. Also, all general interview questions may apply.
Take Away Interview Tips
- Accounting interviews will have some technical knowledge.
- Accounting interviews will have some questions about your ability to problem solve.
- Accounting interviews will have some questions about you personality.
- Accounting interviews will have many general interview questions.